Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Revisiting Pardes Mein Des

So this past Saturday was India Night at Assembly Hall and the production value was incredible for a student production. The sound and lights and shear number of participants (200+) blew Heat 2006 out of the water...although Heat did have Saif and Preity, which you just can't compete with. There were several inside jokes about the poor quality of UIC shows and I wonder if they were reflecting on that.

I love funny take-offs of the Matrix and this production had it in spades. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The skit was about the strict rules on when you should leave the library and involved guys completely in black with ski masks helping people "fly" across the stage and were the force behind the weaponized calculator that the engineering student was gifted that allowed it to hit its target and return, like a boom-a-rang
. Vera vera funny. It is perhaps a little more funny having studied in said library. Main Hoon Na has several Matrix-esque scenes...maybe that is why it is one of my favorites. The Matrix is just a little ridiculous and making fun of that makes me laugh. What really made the show for me was the dancing. Unbeknownst to me we have some champion dance squads on campus. The I-Bhangra team was unbelievable. My next project (post-graduation) will be committing myself to learning how to Bhangra. The team came out in orange and blue shimmery satiny finery. I still can't believe that I live in a town with people that can dance like that.

Of the people in the audience, Beth and I were again the most drably dressed. There were all kinds of beautifully adorned men, women and children. The colors of the fabrics and all the beads and jewelry were wonderful to look at so at intermission we made a lap and just people watched, which is always entertaining, and were able to get up close looks at what the performers were wearing. I was very pleased to hear selections from movies I have seen and ones that I haven't, such as Bluffmaster which I will be watching very soon. I find myself already thinking about next year's show and what it will be like.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home